Saturday, May 3, 2014

Osprey sighting

A week ago we spotted two adult ospreys on a large nest we'd been keeping an eye on in London (Ontario).  However, neither of us had a camera with us and phone and ipod cameras were just not going to cut it.

We first noticed the nest mid-summer last year on the top of a hydro pole.  A few weeks later it was blown down during a nasty storm but rebuilt again within a few days.  So, over the winter we'd check to make sure it was still there and discuss our hopes that we'd see a nesting pair this year.

Fast forward to today and we left home to do a couple of quick errands in London and made sure we had  two cameras in the car.  Driving up towards the nest it first appeared that there was nothing to see except the big pile of sticks (the nest) but just as we were about to turn the corner an drive away we saw a feathery bottom on the far side of the pole!

Due to the angle it's impossible to tell if it's a male or female but I was able to get a few decent shots from the distance, including one of Geoff taking his photos.  The arrow indicates the location of the nest.


It will be interesting to see if the nest gets much bigger.


And even more interesting if we get to see big, awkward chicks in the future.


7 comments:

  1. Oh it will be like waiting for the mourning dove! That's a fabulous looking bird, quite majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been watching a pair of Canadian Geese that are living on a pond near the nursing home. You can see their nest out of the window so it gives the residence something to watch. It helps make the day go by. It would be fun watching yours have their babies. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh. What a treat. Thank you. Fingers and toes crossed they do successfully raise some chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reminds me...we must head out to the Guelph Lake soon...there are three of those hydro pole nests out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I hope they can make a happy home there, it seems like an unlikely place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elaine how wonderful I hope they manage to raise a brood I love hawks and buzzards I have never seen osprey other than on TV or pictures. Now that was unusual you not having a camera, I am glad you wentback these are great pictures. Thank you for sharing XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  7. A treat. Sorry I have not posted. I have you on my list but it did not show up so I can see it. So going through members on my side bar that has followers so small on my page. Brought up eight I added. I really feel bad. So sorry. I tired to add them but would not go like the rest that is visible. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete