Friday, May 3, 2013

shhhhhhh.........they're back......

We're not going to get too excited - yet.  But when we came downstairs this morning we were greeted with this sight.  This is a transom window above our front door and what you're looking at is a Mourning Dove in a nesting position.

 From 2008 - 2011 we had a successful run of nests and chicks over our front door.  Last year they appeared to move to our neighbours doorway but there was one successful nest in the tree on our front lawn.  So, we're hoping we have doves that will stay again this year.  We enjoy their presence so much - and I can't begin to tell you how entertaining they are for our cat, Gray.

For information about previous seasons and chicks, check out the individual year links under Mourning Dove Nest History on the right sidebar. 

Here's a view from outside our front door this morning..

4 comments:

  1. Looks like she's settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elaine, I haven't been around much lately. So glad I returned in time to catch the news. I felt like an old friend when I saw your heading and knew what you meant by they're back. What a perfect spot for a nest - for you as well as the doves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back to re-visit some of your old photos. How I loved the doves and Gray. Hope he is OK.

    ReplyDelete