Sunday, May 9, 2010

Two lifers in one afternoon

Last week my friend Anne told me she'd seen a Rose-breasted Grosbeak and I was clueless enough to not even know that they're found in this area. I didn't have to wait long to see one for myself. This afternoon, about 2 minutes into my walk, I say a dark and white flash above me and looked up to see this in a tree above me.







A few minutes later I took several blurry shots of a group of birds flitting back and forth over the river. I originally took a guess and thought that they were Bank Swallows but they've now been identified as Northern Rough-winged Swallows (thanks to desertnutmeg!)


3 comments:

  1. That little bird with the cute name sure is beautiful, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely swallows, but not sure of the kind. I know they aren't barn, tree or violet-green. We have all three of those around our cabin. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elaine!

    I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but my guess is it's a Northern Rough-winged swallow as it looks (in second photo) like it has the buff throat but looks like it is missing the darker breast band.
    Check this webpage [not mine]:
    http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=3&did=25243

    Congrats on your two "lifers!"

    ReplyDelete