Sunday, April 4, 2010

On the trails - 3 days, 3 trails

I'm fortunate enough to have a long weekend for Easter and, so far, have walked 3 different trails here in Woodstock since Friday.

Friday morning I walked the paved trail at Roth Park. I know a lot of people aren't happy that the trail has been paved but I suspect it makes it accessible for a wider range of people.
There were still signs of last fall.
But also signs of spring and renewal.

Yesterday I visited the Burgess Trail, which is part of the Millennium Trail System. Someone has taken the time to put up feeders which attract a variety of birds. This bright display shows some of the recent diners.
While I was there I saw a Black-capped Chickadee
And a female Downy Woodpecker
The Thames River flows by all three of the trails.
This morning I decided to go to my usual haunt, which is also part of the Millennium Trail System, it is located just south of Dundas Street at the west end of Woodstock.
The flash of red on the far river bank is known as red willow, I believe.
The sun was catching this Mallard at just the right angle.
And finally, a shot of a pair of Canada Geese - no doubt looking for a good nesting location.
Happy Easter, happy spring!

1 comment: