Thursday, November 12, 2009

Friday My Town Shoot Out - Places of worship

Trinity Anglican Church is located about 5kms north of Hickson, Ontario and was built in 1847. This property is beautifully maintained even though it is only used one a year for the anniversary service. Note the covered hitching post on the left.


When I took this photo about 12 years ago, Chalmers United Church was one of five United Church of Canada congregations in Woodstock. Today this building stands empty and up for sale as the congregation has amalgamated with another under a new name. Heaven only knows the fate of this beautiful structure.


Thanks go out to Rebecca for the theme of Places of Worship for the Friday My Town Shoot Out. To see the members link list, please click on the camera icon in the right hand column and it will take you to the Shoot Out site and all the pertinent information.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the first one. It looks like you could just walk into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Patty........ the first shot is fantastic! have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes three votes for the first one. Although I do wonder what will become of the second. Sad to think that a church can outlive its usefulness, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first one too. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Doreen and Patty. I liked the second shot too...but it was more fun to say that I was with Doreen and Patty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you captured the cemetery in front of the church and the trees behind with so much depth in that first shot. It adds so much interest. A shame it is only used once a year...wouldn't it be a lovely place for a little wedding? How charming.

    The 2nd one is a sad tale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh I agree..I am following the crowd..wonderful shots!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad to see such a beautiful building standing empty and unneeded.

    Now I want to go walk around the grounds of the top church with Patty, Doreen and Bagman,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always thought an old church would make a unique and lovely home - I hope that is the fate of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would make a very unique home but also a very huge one - it can comfortably seat about 500 people!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we took our trip this summer to the Atlantic provinces one of the things that I remember well was all of the church steeples rising above the trees. You could see them from miles away. Not so here on the coast. Our hills and mountains mask them from the distance. But when you get in town, there's lots. Sometimes two at the same intersection. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sad that the church is vacant. I hope it will not fall to ruin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your second photo is wonderful. I love that you still got the fall colors of the trees in the picture with the church.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, I agree, it is sad that it is vacant. There will be a deconsecration ceremony next weekend. It never ceases to amaze me how much politics you find in religion. This has been a good lesson for me - worship doesn't have physical boundaries. In an odd way it has been very liberating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ditto on Patty's comment...I just told Doreen that I love old cemetery and grave heads...I come to screeching halts when I see them, to talk a walk...

    ReplyDelete