Monday, September 7, 2009

My World Tuesday - for the birds

We've had a busy nesting year with our resident Mourning Doves. I'm thinking the latest two chicks might be the last for this year but Geoff is betting we haven't seen the end of it yet.

Saturday evening was full of activity as the chicks were obviously getting ready to fly the coop. You can hear them calling out to mama and papa and the parent's return call. Just after I shot this brief video clip the chick on the left fledged.






Sunday afternoon the second chick fledged as far as the tree on our lawn and stayed there for a couple of hours before venturing further into the brave new world.

The final count for this season? Four successfull nests, producing 8 healthy chicks in total, and two failed nests. I wonder what next year will bring??

Please visit My World Tuesday for more fun.

15 comments:

  1. What cute little guys! Great shots, Elaine!

    Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the little clip before the pictures which is very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic shots, Elaine. I love the main photo.
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so sweet especially that second pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the little video and the shot of the little fledgling is wonderful. Wonderful shots, Elaine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet. and yet somewhat sad! It seems like they don't really want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much excitement in your neck of the woods, great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful sight! And being there while all this was happening must have been incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the filtered photo. That little chick is adorable. And Gray is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the video - I thought the chick on the right would be the first to fly. Great photo of the treed fledgling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Watching babies leave the nest must be fun! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks Elaine hope they do alright in the big world XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! That second photo of the baby in the tree is SOOO CUTE!!!! I just love the look of baby birds! Nice catch!

    ReplyDelete