Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nest update - brood 3, 2009

I can now confirm that we have one chick for sure - front and centre, next to papa. I suspect there might also be a second one but I'm not 100% sure yet. There seems to be a bit of a bump that looks like feathers straight beneath papa's beak. I should know for sure in a day or two. By that time, if there are two, it will be difficult to contiue to hide under mama and papa.

For any visitors to this blog who aren't familiar with the story of our Mourning Doves, this particular nest is above our front door. This is the second successful nest in this location this season, they also raised two chicks in one of the hanging pots on our veranda.

From July 2009

4 comments:

  1. Elaine, to be up front and centre to these births and watching the babies grow, lucky you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! I have never seen a baby dove! Fantastic! What a great birdie grama you are!!! So cool! I just love successful baby bird stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet Elaine - take care, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!

    We had one lay eggs abut a month ago in a flower basket. But she abandoned them :-( I have no idea why.

    ReplyDelete