Friday, April 17, 2009

Nest update - preparing for flying lessons

Gray was particularly transfixed by the events on the nest tonight. The Mourning Dove chicks are getting quite big and their feather development is progressing. Geoff had a few errands to run but June and Ward Cleaver were parked right in the middle of our walkway, probably trying to entice the little ones to venture out of the nest.
So Geoff walked around the speed bumps. One flew off momentarily, the other one merely moved aside.
Then one of the adults moved to the veranda railing so I was pretty convinced they were coaxing the babies.
Eventually I managed to get this shot with one of the two little ones flapping it's wings.
I won't be a bit surprised if I find the nest empty in the next day or so. The question is, how long will it stay empty? I'm willing to bet there will be two more eggs in the nest before the end of this coming week. It's quite a turnaround operation.
Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Elaine, I can't get over how fast they are growing! Such cute photos of the babies. I don't know about nesting habits of doves but I would guess she will be rather busy thing summer. Your ledge is perfect for her and she will be taking full advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am starting to see this as a TV reality show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reality tv show? How about the "Freeloader Fledglings"? They really are the cutest things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize that baby birds flew so quickly. we were watching forest pigeons sit a nest and went away for a week and the next was empty, eggs hatched and the babies gone before we returned. I thought maybe something had happened to the babies, this is reassuring.
    see - http://gingersflowers.blogspot.com/search/label/Brasil%20-%20Birds

    ReplyDelete